permaculture - Re: [permaculture] on an ethics of Mr Pittman (and the US military)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] on an ethics of Mr Pittman (and the US military)
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 06:33:35 -0700 (PDT)

The thing that Nicholas and others are missing the boat on completely is that
permaculture, as a design science, TRANSFORMS SYSTEMS. Which means that if
permaculture were truly applied to the US military, it would transform it
into something completely different. It would no longer exist as it exists
right now.

Start slow and small is a principle of permaculture. Transforming even one
National Guardsman or US Army Corporal will create ripples and connections
that can start undermining the unsustainable aspects of the system.

It is IRRELEVENT to Josh's cause whether permaculture is used by the army or
not. All he has to do is tell people that it is a design science, that is
apolitical, non-religious, and non-racist or classist and can be applied by
any group - to the degree that it is applied, there will be LESS SUPPRESSION
of those he is trying to help.

If he can't get that across, then the people he is working with DON"T
UNDERSTAND PERMACULTURE. So what the hell is he doing then? He isn't doing
anything with permaculture if the insurgents or whoever don't understand that
it transforms systems. If they get hung up on the army using it, then they
don't get it and wont' benefit from it anyway so he may as well give up.

Having worked in Haiti, Pine Ridge reservation, and South Central Los
Angeles, I have found that activists working against oppressive systems have
NO PROBLEM understanding how permaculture can benefit them regardless of who
uses it. They do not get hung up or turn against it because some
establishment figure uses the word for some reason. Jesus, give these people
a little credit for having some intelligence, Nicholas. How stupid do you
think they are that YOU have to protect them from misunderstanding the
subject by denying others opportunity to learn the science? Why do you feel
you have the right or authority to dictate personally who gets to have
permaculture and who doesn't? Who are you to say who can benefit, who should
benefit, or where it will do the most good?

Why don't you stick to getting it across to those you want to work with, and
let other grown adults and responsible people do what they feel is right in
their own hearts? It is truly arrogant for you (or anybody else) to second
guess what a competent, experienced permaculturist like Scott, Toby, et al,
is doing or why. It is quite a condescending attitude, and neglect of the
first principle of permaculture which is OBSERVE THE SYSTEM. Look at the
results before you jump to judgment of others. That is basic people care -
your judgment of these men and what they are doing shows a lack of
understanding of people care, from my viewpoint.

Best, Cory

--- On Wed, 8/11/10, Lawrence F. London, Jr. <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>