permaculture - Re: [permaculture] on an ethics of Mr Pittman (and the US military)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Scott Pittman" <scott@permaculture.org>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] on an ethics of Mr Pittman (and the US military)
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 10:41:19 -0600

This has become a little tedious, having to listen to all the Monday nite
quarterbacks evaluate whether I considered this or that in providing a
course for the Army National Guard. I have heard nothing new from anyone on
this list to add to the considerations already made before I made the
decision.

The teaching team that worked with me also added their considerations and
questions and we all agreed to do this. I also questioned the chain of
command of decision making by the military. Who initiated the requests for
technological assistance? Who determined which village was selected? Were
any seeds being imported into Afghanistan thereby threatening the genetic
integrity of thousands of years of plant breeding?

To imply that we were teaching a program in a U.S. post peak oil context is
absurd, I wouldn't do that in this country let alone Afghanistan. So rather
than this being a discussion of how to interface with the institutions that
are most influential in destroying cultures and environments this is a free
for all over all of the things that might be wrong even making the attempt.

That some how this group of 14 national guardsmen imbedded in one small
rural village of Afghanistan will affect the way permaculture is seen in
Iran, Iraq, and Pakistan is a stretch and even if the ripples do reach that
far I have faith in the native intelligence of those cultures to check it
out on the web and other information sources before deciding out of hand
that it is another imperialistic trick.

Just to be clear I also worked in Haiti with a grant from the Corporate
Giant Mars and didn't find that permaculture was branded with the
Corporatist label in Cuba. I think that many of the comments here are
reminiscent of "White Mans' Burden" or in loco parentis which views third
world cultures as not being capable of thoughtful assessment of whether
something makes sense or not. I know from experience that if it makes sense
that they will use it and if it doesn't they will not.

>From all of the many respondents to the National Guard course only responses
from the permaculture group have been negative, which maybe speaks to how
precious we have become.

I find many of the responses on this group to be distasteful in the sense
that they never rise above the obvious; I find that permaculture is a way
more complex system for such simplistic understandings and concerns. I keep
looking for the meat in these communications and I only see white bread.

Scott Pittman

Director

Permaculture Institute

www.permaculture.org <http://www.permaculture.org/>