permaculture - Re: [permaculture] on an ethics of Mr Pittman (and the US military)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] on an ethics of Mr Pittman (and the US military)
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 22:26:04 -0400

On 8/13/2010 5:49 PM, LBUZZELL@aol.com wrote:
Thanks, Lee. I think this is an important discussion.

I wonder how this might be viewed not just from the viewpoint of "we
Americans" but by the people being occupied? When we approach a new
permaculture design, don't we look at the land not only from our own point of
view but
also consider how our possible actions might be received by or impact
other living beings who may have lived here long before we arrived?

It seems clear from this ongoing dialogue that there are a wide variety of
opinions on whether or not permaculturists should or should not work for
the US military. All worth considering. Perhaps some kind of consensus will
emerge...

Afgan villagers obviously have a longstanding agricultural and nutritional tradition accompanied by permaculture-like practices
involving architecture, livestock management, site management, roads, bridges, etc. and music! Considering the wars that continue in that country along with economic privation, the US Military would be well advised to offer aid and assistance in the form of hands-on instruction on the use of permaculture to provide sustenance and help stabilize their lives for the long term. Wouldn't it be better to do that rather than not? Who else should do it? Who would or could do it? There has been talk in this list over the years about forming a permaculture relief corps to provide direct assistance to the Afgan people, where they live,in urban and rural settings. Now there is such a group, it just isn't any of us.

If you question whether the Afgan people would want help from the US, in this form, then why not go to them and ask them instead of speculating on it. There are probably hundreds of discussion forums, blogs, Google searches, YouTube videos, FaceBook pages, websites, etc where one could find accurate information on Afgan villagers, how they live, what their needs are and what they would want from outsiders or Westerners if anything were offered to them.

Ethics, of course, and morality, faith, fairness and determination,
but this is a practical matter of saving and enhancing lives, an
on-the-ground scenario.