permaculture - [permaculture] on an ethics of Mr Pittman (and the US military)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: kevin skvorak <k.skvorak@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] on an ethics of Mr Pittman (and the US military)
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 07:37:59 -0400

thank you Scott for this reply,

again i appreciate it, and the opportunity to dialogue about these issues

you raised a question as to why i named people in this, specifically you and
Geoff. This was intentional on my part (so i'm glad you asked!)

there are a few folks like you and geoff that have the
notoriety/instituitions (as they are) etc to get offered these opportunities
to work with the US military, middle eastern elites etc.
You have put yourselves out there. (these opportunties come with having to
put up with folks like myself as well i suppose)
the main reason i was concerened about this whole issue enough to write
something, was not to feel holier-than-thou, or try to make some
irelevent point about who was more gooder or less gooder and who is the
biggest hipocrite etc. i feel folks were misunderstanding me in this.

my concern is that you and geoff and others that are working with violent
non-PC instituions like the US military, might be "shitting" in the
downstream social-ecology of other permies. i would hate to see some (as
yet future and hypothetical) permie across borders folks with the courage
and integrity of medicines sans frontiers get their heads chopped off by the
resistance forces somewhere because that resistance has already made the
connection between permaculture and their oppressors/elites etc

there was a reason i used the example in jordan that i did. there are
plenty of lame permie projects out there that i could name-call on that are
only serving the privileged class but i chose to point that one out because
it relates to my concern at hand. another way to say it might be- yes, by
working with the US military you can push a lot of dirt aroundand and
establish facts-on-the-ground, but if these projects come with a cost of
screwing things up for permies that might be working in a more
community-based fashion (which i prefer) in the future, it is too high a
cost imho.

i appreciate the opportunity to express myself on this. thanks for
listening.

kevin

*Scott Pittman* scott at permaculture.org
<permaculture%40lists.ibiblio.org?Subject=Re%3A%20%5Bpermaculture%5D%20on%20an%20ethics%20of%20permaculture%20%28and%20the%20us%0A%09military%29&In-Reply-To=%3C5CB8516E69F24BA1A034B72580650796%40ScottPC%3E>

I would however like to comment on item 3. which I think is the heart of the
matter and displays a basic ignorance of what has been going on in
Afghanistan.

Comments in Blue

Scott Pittman

Director