permaculture - Re: [permaculture] How Much Land Does It Take To Become Food Self-Reliant

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: jamesdavid Sneed <harvestcircle@hotmail.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] How Much Land Does It Take To Become Food Self-Reliant
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 16:26:52 -0700

The reason I have not responded to Toby's "nasty b'ast" about
self-sufficiency and food independence was too-fold: First, I wanted to hear
the opinions of others who had read my posts as well as his response, and
Lawrence's too.
Second, I was busy, planting several gardens large and small, for myself and
for others, and a couple of which I will never see the harvest from. I plant
gardens to feed people. At the same time I was teaching a few workshops, and
for free, not for the exhorbitant fees someone seemed to imply (in a related
post) I must or should be seeking. (Perhaps a few permaculture gurus are
feeling a bit guilty about the fees they themselves charge).
You see, the abundance of Nature is free, and should be passed on for free.
Even the labor we claim to expend (or sell) is free to us, for our bodies and
minds are a gift from Nature (or from whatever deity you might choose to
embrace). The energy that fuels our bodies and minds is given to us by
Nature, although we are often confused by the idea that the food energy and
fossil fuels are sold to us by someone else......they are supplied by Nature.
I plant these gardens, grow the needed seeds, and teach these classes for
free, although I have accepted gifts to help pay for transportation. I hope
each of you are able to find ways to pass on Nature's abundance.
I also face serious challenges now....I walk with a cane, and have had to
learn new ways to approach working with the soil. I spend more time kneeling
and laying alongside garden beds rather than bending, and when I return to
Alaska soon I will take these limitations with joy (and yes, often
frustration) to the edge of and into the wild in order to feed and clothe
myself.
I was an organic farmer for a few decades, active in legislation and
community action, and have worked with several of the "greats" in the field.
Sometimes I was under their tutelage, and a couple of my own students have
become really fantastic farmers themselves. It gives me some perspective that
I have tried to share. The experiences and contact has also led me and others
to believe that the current system of organic farming and distribution (even
farmer's markets) is unsustainable. It also seems wrong to make or urge folks
to be dependent on a food system that is actually very petroleum based. Much
of our image of sustainable and organic production is an illusion.
Toby was simply misinformed about Alaska. Their are a number of legitimate
estimates of the native population levels (before european assault decimated
the indigenous groups) that place their numbers at approximately what the
total population of the state is now.
They got all their food from Nature, lived longer than we do now, and died
with their teeth intact.
Toby assumes a lot about me, whom he does not know. When we and others ask
about where the hand tools I espouse came from, where were they made, I admit
I have bought many, but part of my learning process has been to focus on how
to make similar tools from the metals already above the surface of the earth,
usually in the form of scrap that is waiting to rust back into the Mother's
embrace. I make my handles from tree branches, and have begun to carve and
test all-wood digging sticks. They work great, and they are free. Yes, I
carve them with a knife, but oddly enough I found that knife many years ago
while walking along a road.
Lastly, I would like to reiterate, in case I omitted it or failed to be clear
before, that what I advocate is much more than just "growing all one's own
food". It is the conscious finding, or planting, or gently altering small
portions of the environmeNt for food growing AS well as HARVEST FORM THE WILD
OR NEAR-WILD SPACES SUCH AS FOOD FORESTS, BE THEY PLANTED OR FOUND.For me,
the ocean and seashore is as important as the forest, and no it doesn't take
hundreds or acres or miles or whatever Toby said for wild harvests.
Indigenous groups in most of coastal Alaska harvested the majority of their
food from near the shore, not at sea. The exceptions lie towards the
aleutians and the bering straits and sea.
I feel it is sad that Toby would be so discouraging to folks who see the need
and virtue in such self-sufficiency, and it is disrespectful to belittle
those efforts. He has some good points, and it was sad to seem to hear him
threaten to avoid the postings if people's reactions weren't to his liking. I
hope that's not what he meant. We all learn from discussion, and to some
extent from disagreements.
I apologize for clumsy syntax and any mispellings. I am tired and must get
back to the garden. Good gardening, everybody.
James David