permaculture - Re: [permaculture] How Much Land Does It Take To Become Food Self-Reliant

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] How Much Land Does It Take To Become Food Self-Reliant
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 00:17:48 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I haven’t followed this discussion, so I apologize if I repeat something that
has already been said.

>... no it doesn't take hundreds or acres or miles
> or whatever Toby said for wild harvests.

In Japan, on highly fertile soil with more than enough rain, a quarter acre
of intensive farming is more than enough to grow most of your own food. On
very poor soil in the arid climate of the South of Portugal, even 30 acres
are hardly enough to sustain a family. And to live on the few berries or
mushrooms that will grow here in the wild, even 1,000 acres wouldn’t be
enough to feed a person.

Fukuoka floated this idea about a quarter acre for every family in the early
90s. At the same time he also advocated doing away with the liquor tax. As
a farmer he was a genius, but as a social thinker he was a pure catastrophe.

Dieter Brand
Portugal