permaculture - Re: [permaculture] How Much Land Does It Take To Become Food Self-Reliant

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Linda Shewan <linda.shewan@bryn.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] How Much Land Does It Take To Become Food Self-Reliant
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 06:32:19 +1000

I think that a lot of the self-sufficiency potential comes down to our
diet...

What about for raw vegans - we should be able to produce all our own raw
vegan food shouldn't we. I don't have the land so can't test it and admit it
will take years to achieve self-reliance in nuts and fruits so you cannot
achieve it in the short term. If you just go raw without the vegan then with
chickens for eggs, perhaps milking a sheep for milk, cheese etc - you could
do it with that couldn't you? You would need to bring in salt but not much
else... and some raw foodists say salt is not necessary if you have adequate
sodium from celery and other veges.

Obviously our diets are radically different than raw vegan in most cases but
the fact is that people that we would consider eat extremely healthily -
people in the permaculture and organic movement - still suffer from serious
diseases so perhaps we should be looking at it more closely - an example is
the newish video "raw for 30 days" where they cured Type 2 and even Type 1
Diabetes in only 1 month with a raw vegan diet. There is a lot of information
about what people have achieved with a raw food diet.

I know it is a very controversial subject so perhaps it is best not to debate
the virtues of the diet but just whether if you followed that diet then you
could be self sufficient.

Thanks, Linda