permaculture - Re: [permaculture] How Much Land Does It Take To Become Food Self-Reliant

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] How Much Land Does It Take To Become Food Self-Reliant
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 23:09:25 -0400

jamesdavid Sneed wrote:

Lastly, I would like to reiterate, in case I omitted it or failed to
be clear before, that what I advocate is much more than just "growing
all one's own food". It is the conscious finding, or planting, or
gently altering small portions of the environment for food growing AS
well as HARVEST FROM THE WILD OR NEAR-WILD SPACES SUCH AS FOOD
FORESTS, BE THEY PLANTED OR FOUND. For me, the ocean and seashore is
as important as the forest, and no it doesn't take hundreds or acres
or miles or whatever Toby said for wild harvests.

Well said; advocating for the lightest footprint. This seems the essence of Fukuoka and many hundreds of experts over the centuries who advocate
minimal invasiveness in food production, for the home or for market.