permaculture - Re: [permaculture] How Much Land Does It Take To Become Food Self-Reliant

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marjory <forestgarden@gvtc.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] How Much Land Does It Take To Become Food Self-Reliant
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 18:30:13 -0500

Hi Linda,

I was exploring the raw vegan diet when I started this journey. In this area (Central Texas) animal products are by far, easier to grow than fruit and veggies. This land naturally has grass and scrub, and hence animals make the best use of it. Fruits and veggies require lots more fertility than is naturally here. Yes, we do create fertility - as should everyone - but is it much more work.

I suppose the vegan or vegetarian question can raise a lot of controversy, but I toss in my experience. From my studies of Dr.Weston Price I was interested in how he noticed few indigenous peoples were strictly vegetarian (I don't know if he ever found any strict vegans). I shifted to eating more animal products not only because it is easier to grow, but because I was having some health issues from long-term raw vegan lifestyle. Specifically my teeth developed lots of problems. Eating more animal products has helped immensely.
Most of my diet is grown here on farm. I trade and barter with neighbors to broaden my palate (yup community is definitely a good thing, and not so easy to find). My two main imports are butter (Missouri) and avacados (Mexico). Fats are one of the most challenging things to grow here

My heart is truly in perennial systems - food forests, yes, the ultimate way to go But they take a long time to develop and there is so much to learn about species, guilds, etc. It is the work of at least several lifetimes. I hae begun this work as it is too valuable and it must begin somewhere. Also, the foods that are produced are not familiar to most of us and we haven't adapted out palates to them (yet). It all takes time. I would much prefer to be in the orchard than the garden, and my garden is turning more and more periennial each year, but I and my family are still much more familiar with broccoli than chufa, we like beans and corn versus jujubees and leuceana.
Marjory