permaculture - Re: [permaculture] How Much Land Does It Take To Become Food Self-Reliant

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] How Much Land Does It Take To Become Food Self-Reliant
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 23:50:46 -0400

Kevin Topek wrote:

I'll agree with one point of your scree against Toby's comment, that it was

distracting, misleading misinformation if not disinformation...
especially when I think of just my own committment to promoting and educating about self-sufficiency and independence, growing your own food and networking (= extended community) with others _near and far_ who can supply you with what you cannot grow.

utter horse manure. What Toby said was nutrient dense (full of thought provoking ideas), will improve with age (while those concepts sink into one's thoughts) and will allow for future growth with time (those concepts will work their way into making a better system).

yes, it will compost naturally and acquire a full array of beneficial organisms to enhance our garden soil - I hear horse manure is commonly used to jumpstart failed municipal sewage digesters because it is so full of the right microbes - nowadays those are probably cultured for industry use on demand

I do produce a lot of our food intake from a small urban plot. I have recently had food thieves. It is driving me crazy with anger. I have shared so much from my yard with friends, family, neighbors, my employees and subcontractors. Then this is the thanks I get.

That's the way things are these days. You could put up a big 2 legged "deer" fence; 12' would be easy with 4X4 PT posts or 10' steel T posts.
Have an inner 4' or 5' woven electric hog fence for additional protection - roach motel concept - they get stranded inside giving you time to call 911; reduced liability for you because they had already broken in over the outer fence - you have a right to have an electric fence for small wildlife predators.

I can not produce my own cereals, fats, chocolate or meats on this space. I leave that to those who do it more efficiently and better. Toby is calling for a balanced approach and view. He is also entitled to his opinion. Besides he actually casts a large shadow with his written word.

If it becomes a popular idea for everyone to try and become food self-sufficient in a bioregion then, with urban and rural farms involved, trying to meet the needs of a limited number of customers or coop members only in their immediate locale, then you just might be able to have enough cereals, nuts, fruits, herbs to go around with the rest of the growers supplying vegetables or other services in barter or for sale but through their immediate network.coop/extended community/bioregion. My computer/web-based idea for a national food,
services and real goods production, marketing and distribution network would serve the needs of and inter/intralink each node in each community in each town, each area, each region, each state, each national region
and finally the whole nation.

There are some naysayers saying a lot here. I wonder how many trees they have planted recently. How many gardens have they planted this year. How much walk do they put behind their big talk. I'm tired and dirty from planting all day and most every other one too. Are you?

Yes. You can see my work in my Facebook page. I'll copy the galleries to my blog which is public. Are you on Facebook? Anyone else on Facebook want to get linked up - we have a big permaculture community so far; good reading each day.

Cheers, Kevin.
I am wondering what will happen to the rock garden on the creek banks behind the Warren house. That's a big piece of property, prime for infill$$$$$$. Wouldn't it be nice if it was preserved and the house and its English cottage garden restored.