permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Global Food Supply Near the Breaking Point

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Forest Garden" <forestgarden@gvtc.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Global Food Supply Near the Breaking Point
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 10:31:54 -0500

Hi Jerome,

I am keenly aware the conclusions are not optimistic as I live here and am
committed to my community. You stated

> .. I am wondering how real (the conclusions written about) are, as it
seems to me that they are
> not really taking into account the adaptability of humans and the
> power of community. If we look at the Cuba example, when peak oil
> (due to the loss of Soviet oil) suddenly fell upon the island in
> 1990, people not only survived, but thrived

First of all, yes, there is an incredable amount of ingenuity in humans, but
the facts of the basic resources available still remain. We chose the
bio-intensive method for our basic analysis of what food could be grown
because it is one of the highest efficiency methods for sustainable food
producing known. Perhaps you could get some more gain out of another method
or some really interesing ways to grow food, but you absoluely have to have
some area, oranic matter, experience, seeds, and water - in addition to a
lot of creativity, hard work, and community connectedness. Each of the
million or so people needs to eat about 2000 calories a day. The analysis I
presented shows the facts of what resources are here in our area. And yes,
it is sobering.

The second response I have is towards your comments about the sucesses in
Cuba. Yes, the Cuban story is quite impressive, and often brought up in
permaculture circles as an example. But it is not very relevant to the
situation in the United States. When the Soviet Union collapsed it cutoff
oil, fertilizer, and other petroleum products to not only Cuba, but also to
North Korea. The example of what happened in North Korea is perhaps much
more relevant to the Untied States than Cuba. By Castro's efforts, Cuba had
for decades in advance been converting land into owner cooperative
agriculutral farms. Cuba's basic story was going form conventional
agriculture to organic ag. North Korea was much more like a developed
industiral country with large scale agriculture and highly dependant cities.
It is estimated that over 3 million people died in North Korea as the food
systems dependant on fossil feuls collapsed.

For a more detailed discussion on the two examples see the article "Drawing
Lessons From Experience; The Agricultural Crisis in Cuba and North Korea
Parts I and II" located at

http://www.fromthewilderness.com/free/ww3/111703_korea_cuba_1.html

By its nature, this topic is a very difficult to discuss. And I would
sincerely appreciate comments after you've read the article.

At a personal level, my family has been working very, very hard for the past
three years to establish a small family farm to simply feed ourselves. The
undertaking is massive with the amount of fossil feuls we have used so far,
and we are still a few years away from serious production. As another
example, Lawrence recently explained what he did to get four acres into high
production. The amount of fuel he used, and the energy he put into it
personally, was substantial. In Central Texas, these kinds of inputs and
efforts cannot be replicated enough times over to support the current
population as we simply don't have the resources. And if we try to go much
further out to find resources, we run into the needs of even bigger cities
like San Antonio, Houston, and Dallas.

It not a shortage of human ingenuity and community - its much more basic
than that.

Marjory