permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Global Food Supply Near the Breaking Point

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: evansdk@earthlink.net, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Global Food Supply Near the Breaking Point
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 10:40:46 -0400

Kathy Evans wrote:

I am new to this list and wonder if I am at the wrong party...I live in the
suburbs, on a mostly shaded lot with clay soil, and have a small (thousand
square feet) garden, a big compost pile, and about a dozen hens. I'm
interested in learning the practical art of permaculture as it applies to
gardening and teaching it to my children, whom I homeschool. The oldest has
moved out and plans to buy land for the purposes of permaculture. So is

Excellent path he is taking.

this list more oriented toward farming than gardening, and more towards
discussions about the whys and wherefores and the big-picture thinking than
about practical advice?

Not at all. It usually focuses on small-scale urban/rural homestead/backyard
gardening.
Just ask questions and you will get great answers here.

> utilize sustainable practices and materials to produce food in a sane way,
> locally for local consumption. Ecologically aware, biointensive,
regenerative
> methods employed in integrated farming and permaculture systems can produce
amazing results,

... applies to backyard gardening.

find a source in your area for rock dust from a quarry; have a big load
delivered and mix it with your clay;
add compost and clean manure (horse or cow); add rock phosphate and azomite and greensand; high calcium lime as needed but keep pH low (6.3 to 6.6) - this wil get you started improving your garden soil.

If so, does anyone know of a list oriented toward
practical questions, like how to expand my garden out into the clay and
shade of the rest of my yard? I have enjoyed the discussions thus far.

There is no better list than this one for discussion of the hands on,
practical
aspects of gardening integrated within permaculture systems.

LL