permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Global Food Supply Near the Breaking Point

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: treaclemine@intranet.org
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Global Food Supply Near the Breaking Point
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 02:45:48 -0600

Greetings,

In the UK, food production and distribution is estimated
to contribute 20+% to climate change emissions. That's a reasonable
guide to the percentage of the UK fossil fuel use.

>> "create an unsustainable practice like agriculture"
>
> So what label do you prefer to describe food/fiber production?

I think there's a continuum from prairie-scale industrial
agriculture, to garden-scale traditional horticulture. What size
would a family hemp plantation need to be?

My small experience on bottom-up sustainability suggests we're
at e.g. Haldane's 'second stage'. People are aware of the issues, but
they are waiting for the 'herd' to respond - most people don't want to
'break out' alone. Practical sustainable communities are stalled by a
lack of leadership and funding.

thanks, and best wishes for the weekend,

Amanda in the UK

--
treaclemine@intranet.org

END