permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Global Food Supply Near the Breaking Point

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Global Food Supply Near the Breaking Point
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 04:03:53 -0400

Toby Hemenway wrote:

There is no "we" making decisions at that level. This is a system-level
problem. Nobody "decides" collectively to use oil to grow food, to

overpopulate the planet, or to create an unsustainable practice like
agriculture. Turning away from the course we are on, as a civilization, is

"create an unsustainable practice like agriculture"

So what label do you prefer to describe food/fiber production?

Are you suggesting that billions of people should compete with other lifeforms
for access to wild field & forest feedlots for nutritional sustenance? Sure
would
provide a healthy diet but would leave little time for other activities even
if there
was enough food from these sources to go around.

not something that is going to occur by a vote or changing our shopping
habits.

How about some good support and encouragement for the masses to seek ways to
utilize sustainable practices and materials to produce food in a sane way,
locally for local consumption. Ecologically aware, biointensive, regenerative
methods employed in integrated farming and permaculture systems can produce
amazing results,
often unpredictably so. Its straight up from there. I have witnessed this
happening on my land
as I prepared 4 acres of biointensive raised beds for vegetable production.
I could hardly believe what I was seeing. The production potential of this
land is immense and will only increase.
I provided an initial massive shot of manures, composts, rock dusts and
hundreds of hours of tractor-based tillage
and it has been coasting ever since.

There are ways to practice agriculture and there are others best left undone.

Those who teach permaculture should spend more time an effort teaching soil improvement practices. There are new worlds to conquer in that arena.

LL