permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Global Food Supply Near the Breaking Point

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Sean Maley <semaley@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Global Food Supply Near the Breaking Point
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 12:34:54 -0700 (PDT)

--- "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net> wrote:
> Seems to me that the evolution of agriculture would have been a pretty
> natural thing for early
> Man. They would have tried, just as we do, to "help Nature along" in order
> to make food easier
> to find. Everything else that has happened since has been a pretty natural
> progression, given
> our penchant for acting in our own perceived best interest. Except some
> folks are better at it
> than others.
>
> E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
> www.hillcountrynatives.biz

Agriculture would very much appear to be a "natural" progression.
Independent experiments
happened all over the world with the only difference between the fertile
crescent and the rest of
the world being that it continued. The civilizations of the Americas
collapsed on their own or
were sacked by invading Europeans. The indigenous tribes of the Amazon still
exhibit traces of
the civilization that once rivaled the magnitude of it's European counterpart.

It's hard to imagine walking away from civilization, but that is more the
norm. The fact that it
doesn't always happen means we need some sort of hybrid between civilization
and hunter-gatherer,
which is part of what I like about Permaculture. "Helping nature along"
becomes very labor
intensive when you decide to be in charge of what should/shouldn't grow.

-Sean.