permaculture - [permaculture] fence posts

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Roxann Phillips" <roxann@ancientearthwisdom.com>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] fence posts
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 10:07:27 -0500

One other important thing I forgot to mention is that most of this is
heavily wooded. Will the osage grow in shade, or does it need lots of
sun? I will of course have lots of sun in the pasture and paddock
areas, but what about the wooded boundaries? I think maybe the walnut
and hickory will do better like that...or maybe river cane or other
clumping varieties of bamboo can be planted close enough to create a
boundary in woodlands between the hickories and walnuts. Does the locust
need more or less sun? The neighbors' cows will come in and eat
everything if I don't make it tight. They even have trails up the
mountain to places I never would have thought I'd see a cow, lol. And I
figured if I use things that will feed the deer, they may not need to
come past it to get my gardens. There is also a bear to convince to
stay on the other side of the fence to the garden, although he'll have
plenty of room in the woods to eat and live. I'm thinking I will plant
extra persimmons and berries on the outside, throughout the woods, to
give him more incentive to eat on his side of the fence.

roxann