permaculture - [permaculture] Awareness and effects

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Awareness and effects
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 12:27:22 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

> For me, a big issue is that Pc in the US has existed for about 20 years
> yet it has had virtually no impact on anything beyond a few
> individual's lives. It is an insignificant force, as Michael Kramer's
> article pointed out (and whom I'm paraphrasing here a bit).

I think 25 courses a year (his numbers - I have no idea where from or how
accurate) in barely a generation is pretty impressive, coming from zero
with little or no "formal" organization. I think a lot of PC influence
has crept in sideways, lengthwise, bass-ackwards, and so on in parts and
pieces by other names in other activities. I've seen, heard about, read
about some amazing and impressive projects in all corners of the globe
(not in corporate media, to be sure - which may be a blessing, since they
tend to trivialize what they don't control).

I don't much care if "Permaculture" by that name is up in big lights and
all that jazz. I want to see implicit cultural changes that draw on the
richness of Permaculture design approaches. That's what I take Holmgren
to mean with his comments about architects, engineers, lawyers (?? ;-)
etc. who have PC training/understanding.

I'm also curious what you and Michael (and others??) use as evidence of
lack of effect. That's a tricky one in formal science - proving the
absence of something. It's a theory - what are the experiments to test
it?

Certainly there could be more happening...but I don't see such a dismal
picture of what's already going on.

John Schinnerer, MA
- Eco-Living -
Cultural & Ecological Designing