permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Hierarchies and certification..

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kirby Fry" <peace@totalaccess.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Hierarchies and certification..
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 08:52:54 -0500

Hi All,

Here's one scenario I've been dealing with regarding the certification of an individual.

My friend, Larry, is the landscaper who helped us install our 60,000 square foot permaculture garden.  He knows more about earthworks and edible beneficial / landscapes than anyone else I know in Texas, then spent ten hours a day for thirty days installing our gardens with me at his side.  During those thirty days we lived and breathed permaculture, discussing and debating all aspects of Pc ethics, systems and the Pc movement.

I was able to open him up to the notion of using native legumes as farmers' trees, weaving a healthy native plant population throughout the gardens and reprimanded him somewhat and tempered his enthusiasm for drilling water wells - which Bill scorns as the bastard child of our petroleum exploration industry.  He's also read most of the design manual, and watched Bill's entire lecture on a series of videos filmed and produced by Elizabeth Sollit.  His passion and knowledge are both broad and deep.

I don't know of many other people more qualified to teach and practice Pc.

I would like to be able to give him an honorary / lifetime achievement certification so that he can teach and promote permaculture at his site which is even more amazing than ours because of his small animal systems and solar energy collection.  I spoke to him yesterday and he hasn't been to the grocery store in over four weeks!

He's willing to take a PDC which I will be teaching this fall at the site of the Kerville Folk Festival at Quiet Valley Ranch in Kerr County, so my point may soon be moot, but I still feel that if it were up to me I would have issue him a PDC certificate last year and let him get on with promoting himself and his site as Pc certified.

Are there allowances for people like this?

Kirby Fry

For the real scoop on environmental and social justice issues check out Democracy Now!  http://www.democracynow.org/