permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Cults & Fetishes (was: Hierarchies and certification..)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Loren Davidson <loren@farwalker.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Cults & Fetishes (was: Hierarchies and certification..)
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 07:40:24 -0700

At 11:47 AM 7/7/03 -0400, Eugene F. Monaco wrote:

To me, this idea of certification is cultism; and the desire to obtain the piece of paper is a fetish.

Gene, I'm not sure these words mean what you think they do. Certainly not to me.

In common usage, "cult" tends to refer to "any religion that has fewer members and/or different beliefs than yours" and "fetish" generally involves some sort of sexual arousal.

Okay, I'm oversimplifying on the word "cult," but to tar all certification with that brush is, I believe, disingenuous.

History is full of certified professionals who espoused nonsense and said things such as it is impossible for devices heavier than air to get off the ground.

I don't disagree with this at all.

History is also full of snake-oil sellers without portfolio or shingle. Caveat emptor, and all that. Granted, being certified at something no more guarantees an absence of snake oil any more than the presence of snake oil guarantees charlatanism...but I think a positive correlation can be drawn in many fields between professional certification and the percentage of snake oil in the medicine bag.

I have had so-called agricultural experts tell me that permaculture can t work while they choke on their own poisons. Why then would we want to waste time seeking the blessings of their sacred institutions, and imitating their hierarchical structures?

I don't recall anyone claiming that certification of Pc instructors was in any way related to a desire to cozy up to the backsides of corporate ag. I think you're putting words into people's mouths by saying that.

Permaculture itself is in part about decentralization, experimentation (guild associations), and evolution of what works and most importantly where and when it works, not to mention how and why.

I agree. Why not experiment with how well certification *works* within Permaculture, rather than tossing the idea untested on religious grounds?

If people can keep from believing their own bullshit, as you somewhat rightly fear, sometimes it's useful to put on a masquerade (waving the certification in this case) in order to accomplish Good Works within the existing invisible structures of this culture.

I think the key is to consider certification yet one more possible tool in the toolbox, rather than as Holy Writ *or* as anathema.

Respectfully,

Loren

Loren Davidson Earth steward, healer, singer/songwriter
loren@farwalker.com http://www.earthspring.org/loren/
AIM: loren334 ICQ: 65291610
Loren's album & music info: http://www.lorendavidson.com
"In gentleness there is great strength." - Sun Bear