permaculture - [permaculture] Permaculture Design Software

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Darren J. Doherty" <darren@permaculture.biz>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Permaculture Design Software
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 00:29:37 +1000

Hello People,

Some of the software I would recommend to users of this list is as follows (as relates to permaculture design work):

1.       MapInfo Professional – easy to use (full windows) and powerful GIS (Geographic Information Systems) software that we have been using for about 8 years now for all of our plans development. You can easily and quickly create very professional and accurate maps using all kinds of base data. Our most common base map layer’s use aerial photo (scanned) and topo/feature data – over which we digitally draw the permaculture plan. As an indication – I designed a 500 acre keyline farm last week and it took me about 3 hours. You can measure areas, distances etc. simply by clicking on the object. We plot out our plans on a large format colour inkjet printer (A4-A1) with quite striking results (this machine is used for the odd activist’s posters as well!!).

2.       AutoCAD – not so easy to use – once you get familiar (by doing a night course, as I have or get some over the shoulder tutoring) it is quite easy to use – like a very wild game - it is the ant’s pants if you require total accuracy – its compatibility/acceptance with a wide range of other professionals is well recognized. AutoCAD also has full 3D capability. In addition this software enables the easy design of earthworks – and very easy calculation of earthworks volumes etc. It is the standard architectural and engineers design tool.

3.       World Construction Set – something I’m playing with at the moment (available as a demo). This is 3D broad landscape modeling software used by all manner of resource management scientists, GIS people and video game designers. What it creates is perhaps the pinnacle of land design development software: realistic 3D that looks very much like the real thing. I’ve just got to learn how to use it!

I have tried plenty of other GIS applications – pretty well all of them at some stage or another and I believe that MapInfo is the best for our kind of work – indeed most people I have taught only need to have one day’s tutoring and they’ve got it no worries.

I would be very interested to hear from other designers to see what design software they’re using and what their impressions are.

Cheers,

Yours and Growing,

Darren J. Doherty

Applied Diploma of Permaculture Design, (Education, Site Design, System Establishment & Implementation) Permaculture Institute (1995)

Permaculture Design Certificate, Permaculture Institute (1993, 1995, 2001)

Whole Farm Planning Certificate (Train the Trainer), University of Melbourne (1995)

permaculture designer @ permaculture.biz

a. 103 Casey St, East Bendigo, Victoria, Australia, 3550

p. 613 5444 1068

f. 613 5444 0621

e. darren@permaculture.biz

w. www.permaculture.biz