permaculture - [permaculture] electric fence?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark Ludwig <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] electric fence?
  • Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 18:29:28 -0500

At 07:35 AM 10/17/02 -0500, you wrote:
Absolutely. Holistic Management has it pegged regarding the beneficial
effects of ungulate hoof action, disturbance and concentrating manures over
the disturbed site. However, as in the mountains of North-eastern Mexico,
where they didn't exclude the deer they had 100% mortality of the trees they
were trying to establish.

So do we have to bring them in, then push them out? Or are there ways to
revegetate in their presence. Supposedly bone tar and / or egg yolk gloved
on to the seedling will prevent deer from browsing.
If the trees were in rows I wonder if an electric fence wire over top of the trees would keep them out? Shouldn't be too hard to set something up that you could raise as the tree grew, possibly with some offset wires to cover the trees as they spread.