permaculture - [permaculture] Carbon Sinks / Fire Proof Forests

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kirby Fry" <peace@totalaccess.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Carbon Sinks / Fire Proof Forests
  • Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 07:35:37 -0500

Hi Rick,

First off, I'm wondering, has anyone heard of or encountered federal dollars
available for establishing carbon sinks in the form of prairies or forests?
I would sure like to learn more about such monies, if they exist, and how to
get a hold of them for reforestation.

>> The animals can perhaps prep the site. <<

Absolutely. Holistic Management has it pegged regarding the beneficial
effects of ungulate hoof action, disturbance and concentrating manures over
the disturbed site. However, as in the mountains of North-eastern Mexico,
where they didn't exclude the deer they had 100% mortality of the trees they
were trying to establish.

So do we have to bring them in, then push them out? Or are there ways to
revegetate in their presence. Supposedly bone tar and / or egg yolk gloved
on to the seedling will prevent deer from browsing.

>> What to plant? Depends on the site. What did grow there 50, 200, 20,000
yrs. ago? <<

Okay, this is an interesting point. Yes we want to restore a historically
accurate ecosystem but this objective usually lands us in the middle of
debate over which period and which plants to choose from. Typically
pre-Colombian is what we're striving for, but what if, as is being said
about Texas prairie ecosystems, the original North Americans created a fire
loving plant community? Personally, I think it's high time we got away from
burning the land.

Also, much of what was in place 500 years ago was the result of a cooler
moister climate that has been in effect for the last 10,000 years since the
glacial retreat. Our recent climate trends as many may surmise has been
tending towards increased warming and aridity. I'm all for a cooler moister
climate, but in order to get us there we might have to begin with the plants
that are better suited for our climate today - the whole C3 vs. C4 issue.

So a key factor also is what needs to be there now? What is going to help
stabilize the atmosphere and rehumidify the interior of the continent? Most
of these trees with seratinous (sp?) cones (seeds that are activated by
fire) have likely either adapted to man using fire in the forest or escaped
their original fire-frequent niches. Should such fire adapted plants be
used in "restoration"?

>> Beaver any place there's water. <<

I really like your point about beaver. Our neighbor had beaver jamming up
his creek and darned if he wasn't in there pulling the felled trees out to
prevent water from backing up and killing his willow and cotton wood trees
along the creek. Everywhere else on his land he's willing to knock down
trees and dig ponds with a bull dozer, but the poor beaver he would give
them a chance.

I would be honored if the little guys came over here and constructed a dam.

>> Camelids- maybe try Guanaco? And certainly some sort of Equids, <<

Aye, Mollison says we should be grateful that the Spanish brought horses
back to the Americas when they did. Apparently, there are lots of trees
who's seeds like to pass through the gut of horses.

>> and jaguars should be allowed to continue re-establishing their range.
And maybe elephants. <<

Whew, now you're talking! Wouldn't that be something.

Kirby