permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Agenda Shaping: The Society for EcologicalRestoration

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kirby Fry" <peace@totalaccess.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Agenda Shaping: The Society for EcologicalRestoration
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 07:44:18 -0500

Mark,

>> Let's just not fall into a false dichotomy on this issue. <<

The issue being restoration or the issue being knocking back brush and
advocating a perpetual prescribed fire regime? From what I gathered at the
conference most folks are open to designing for more than just aesthetics
and diversity.

The leaders of the movement hold conferences to specifically deal with
matters like determining the criteria for restoration objectives and goals.
All were interested in permaculture, all were interested in ecosystems that
increased stability though they lacked experience and information about Pc
design.

The emphasis of this conference was feeding the soil food web and putting
function before structure, e.g. restoring soil and water cycles before
simply installing a plant community.

There's also the cultural and ethical aspect of restoration that keeps
cropping up, and so far it seems only the scientists are reluctant to
address these issues. Once armed with some data they tend to believe any
debate is over.

>> It's a big world with room for both of these valuable land uses. <<

Right, I don't see Pc co-oping the restoration movement, but I do see that
participants in both disciplines could benefit from sharing information.

P.S. I just saw Amy Goodman for the first time on Free Speech TV covering
all of the anti-war demonstrations going on around the world. It was pretty
exciting.

Kirby