permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Agenda Shaping: The Society for Ecological Restoration

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Agenda Shaping: The Society for Ecological Restoration
  • Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 16:33:38 -0500

At 09:10 AM 10/7/02 -0500, you wrote:
So as a Pc designer I'm ready to drop the term "restoration" and get on with
designing ecosystems that serve not only biodiversity and our aesthetic
sense of what "should" be there, but also help reverse destructive climactic
and desertification trends. What I sense needs to be emphasized is working
with the most degraded lands first - rather than knocking back woodlands in
order to install grasslands,

Let's just not fall into a false dichotomy on this issue. It's a big world with room for both of these valuable land uses.

Mark P. Ludwig
Poultry Research Lab
University of Wisconsin -Madison
608-262-1730 WK