permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Agenda Shaping: The Society for EcologicalRestoration

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kirby Fry" <peace@totalaccess.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Agenda Shaping: The Society for EcologicalRestoration
  • Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 07:25:49 -0500

Hola Rick,

>> restore the megafauna. <<

Yes, I agree. I've been hearing a bit about how the BLM's grazing policy,
though destructive in some ways, has been beneficial in reducing fuel loads
and wildfire risks.

Even if you're going to introduce megafauna, however, there's still the
issue of what to plant and how to "prep" the site where you'll be planting.

I wonder what animals, besides sheep and goat, could be introduced into the
forested regions of Arizona to reduce fuel loads? Mule deer, pronghorn
sheep...

Then as Mark was saying the bigger the trees are the less likely you are to
have a crown fire. This ties back to the article I posted a while back
about wildfires occurring predominantly on secondary growth forests which
were severely logged. All of the tall old growth is basically replaced by a
denser, younger trees.

So the trick for secondary growth may be to maintain a certain spacing,
reducing risk of wildfire, until the trees are large enough to withstand a
ground fire.

Kirby