permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fwd: [grazersedge] Parasite Control Update - LONG

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fwd: [grazersedge] Parasite Control Update - LONG
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 16:08:19 -0500

At 02:19 PM 10/24/02 -0700, you wrote:
Mark wrote:

I've saved the following for future discussion as it will be important for
homesteaders involved with small livestock production for meat. A while back I asked about raising sheep and goats for meat and it appears that Boer goats and
Gulf Coast sheep will be the easiest to raise with the leat maintenance required, i.e. no wormers and no supplemental feed grain. My source for GC sheep
lets his flock select naturally for parasite resistance. What about nematophagic fungi? What are sources for this and how well does it work and how difficult is it to get them established? Any references would be helpful.

You might try a quick look at the grazersedge archives or the graze-l archives. If anything else of interest drops through I'll send it on. To be honest I had never herd of these fungi before today.

Mark P. Ludwig
Poultry Research Lab
University of Wisconsin -Madison
608-262-1730 WK