permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: Pond Plantings...invasives

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Treesa Jane Rogerson" <treemail@cruzio.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: Pond Plantings...invasives
  • Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 00:38:57 -0700

Yes please err on the side of caution:

remember:

-NAtives first

-Proven Exotics (A good Pc Plant Nursery name)

-Unproven exoctics last, and with utmost caution

And then, remember all the scenes i nthe plant world you may have seen,
where phragmites is choking a wetland, as well as purple loosestrife. In
the long time frame there may be some homeostasis reached, but that's not to
say that that pseudo-stability isn't exhausting.

Also remember that we might not always be around to keep that eye out. If
the problem ever becomes someone else's (as in the case of the designers
hired to restore that wetland), the perceived only choice might be a resort
to something like Round Up.

"Just once, well applied, not repeatedly." Cringe.

Treesa

'Treesa' Rogerson, M.A.

Lands Alive : Ecology By Design

treemail@yahoo.com