permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Exotic Plant Erradication

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Claude Genest <genest@together.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Exotic Plant Erradication
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 10:58:11 -0400

Hi Kirby,

Thanks for that - I sometimes feel quite alone defending our friends the
exotics - interestingly, I just yesterday heard on the radio a fellow named
Bill Danielson, who's written abook called "Speaking of Nature" and I was so
incensed by his view of exotics that I actually began to write a rebuttal
last night !
HE said, for example that what makes exotics a "problem" and worthy of
eradication is that they are "agressive" and outcompete the natives" and I
couldn't help but wonder how he supposes natives got to be so firmly
ensconced in the first place ? Clearly they were better suited to their
environment and over the millenia outcompeted others.....

Then, as you say, where is the notion of succession in all this ? When one
says that a plant "takes over" do they not realize that they do so for only
a short while in preperation for the next wave ?

My other contention is, even if you spray like hell and use all your biggest
guns to try and eradicate a bug or plant, you'll NEVER get them all - only
two have to survive and they will be two tough S.O.B.'s !

I think this discussion really points out the fabled "paradigm shift" we
hear so much about - I read somewhere how the Gaia Theory is as important to
our age as the theory of relativity was to a past one - For those who "get"
the idea of earth as (intelligent) organism, the theory seems so
self-evident and no big deal - to those who don't , it's a pie-in the sky
notion. Th opinions regarding invasives are , I think merely a symptom of
this deeper held world view....

Claude

P.S. I just noticed in today's mail that Dan Hemmenway of Barking Frogs PC
has a pamphlet called "Kudzu utilization Concept Paper"...