permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Pasture Renovation and Fertility

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <permed@nor.com.au>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Pasture Renovation and Fertility
  • Date: Mon, 19 Aug 02 09:42:38 -0000

>> Robyn...those ponds are fed by surface water only , and are now used by
beef
>> cattle for water, cooling dip etc.
>> They are brownish colored, soup. I really want to fence them off ...water
>> cattle from troughs etc. I'd love to see bluish green color, a little
clarity

>> in water. Any ideas?
>
>Aquaculture. Aquatic plants will clear the water in a relatively short
>time; water lilly, water hyacinth will do it quick, also azolla,
>anacharis (very common and may be hardy in zone 6, the others aren't).
>Goldfish or carp to eat the algae. Establish a shallow area and plant
>cattails. You can harvest the pond weed for mulch or compost.

Don't recommend introducing water hyacinth - can completely overtake the
surface and difficult to eradicate - floating water plants are rampant
and difficult to control - perhaps azolla.... Carp and goldfish in a
natural pond will increase turbidity as they're bottom feeders - eat
algae off the bottom and doing so stir up the clay. You'll only see
goldfish/carp in clear water in ponds with liners, cement bottom etc
where they're most effective at grazing the algae blooms on the bottom
surfaces.