permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Exotic Plant Eradication

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Exotic Plant Eradication
  • Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 12:54:56 -0500

At 07:43 AM 8/28/02 -0500, you wrote:
Jamie,

>> While many of us, myself included, wander our 'acre' feeling a diffuse,
warm glow at the successful integration of PC, nature-centered ideas, the
large farms that produce nearly all the food consumed in the West and have
so damaged their environments, remain largely untouched (and possibly
untouchable) by PC in its current guise. <<

Right, well before we toss aside our ethics (which still hold in my opinion,
no matter the scale) consider, that perhaps industrial agriculture as we
know it is untouchable because it is anathema to permaculture. Industrial
ag is more the result of politics, designing around machines and influence
peddling on the part of corporations.

Perhaps the only change we should be worried about is taking care of
ourselves.

IMHO this is totally wrong, at least for most of north America for two reasons - first the analisys is flawed, agriculture is one of the most dynamic and productive sectors in the modern economy. When viewed on a economic productivity basis (which is incomplete, but a good place to start) it is phenomenal how much food is produced by so few people. though there is a grain of truth to the idea that we are designing around machines, the better way to understand it is that there is a steady adapting of the machine to the modern reality of the farm. IMO these machines are rapidly reaching functional perfection except for the pesky infernal combustion engines. As for the crack about corporations, so what? They run all manner of things world wide, ag is no exception. I have more to say on the modern corp and how they need us more than we need them, but thats for another day. Second - plenty of solutions are out there, read on...

>> How do we reach out and begin to make a change on these farms when
farmers are so squeezed for time and money as it is. <<

Personally, I think it's too late, unless one wants to go into politics.
The aggies are the ones relentlessly destroying the land and will no doubt
continue to do so until some sort of crisis reaches a head.

I truly despise phrases like "destroying the land" in contexts like this, of forest fires etc. It isn't being destroyed. Degraded, imperiled yes. But it's almost always salvageable with simple changes or actions. This kind of talk is defeatist claptrap, breeding more cynicism and learned helplessness; not what we need.

Does anyone out there actually devote their time to influencing commercial /
industrial farmers?

Whats this list for if not that?! What is the whole organic movement but that? I've worked on this in the private sector as well with Midwestern Bio Ag. The thing farmers need is solutions, not whiners and law suit happy eco nuts.

The one area that could use our attention includes all of the family farms
going out of business and turning to CSA's for a new source of income.

ethanol
soy diesel
Biological farming
forage based farming
Bio mass production
direct subsidy for watershed protection (ie paying for your urban water
supply)
no till farming
co-ops - old and new

All the solutions are there. Action trumps whine every time.

>> Is PC a precious, suburban, faintly elitist movement that has much to say
but little practical to give these larger farms? <<

Quite the contrary, the Pc movement is best suited for the rural, southern
hemisphere where people are the poorest. It's not elitist at all. As a
matter of fact, last time I spoke with Bill Mollison, North Vietnam was
working to make permaculture its national form of agriculture.

Kirby Fry

PC is seen by some as shangrala, the shiny future at the end of some peoples revolution. Good luck! I see it as little steps on a continuum, every step in the right direction helps. A quick example...

take a standard 1000 cow dairy with an adequate land base
Problem - Lots of manure, methane off gasing, stink
solution - bio gas digester and electric generator. also used to run tractors

problem - unhealthy cattle, expensive feed and lots of machines
solution - graze the cattle, all these problems will be lessened, profits will rise with lower producer costs

problem - Cattle have to walk too far to be milked
solution - build another parlor on the farm

IS all this PC?, don't really care. It's moving in the right direction which is what my goal is. And I also have my precious fancy stone garden and take fine care of myself.

Mark P. Ludwig
Poultry Research Lab
University of Wisconsin -Madison
608-262-1730 WK