permaculture - Re: [permaculture] alt.permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] alt.permaculture
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 16:29:14 -0500

Loren Davidson wrote:

> At 02:19 PM 1/21/02 -0500, you wrote:
>
> > > I *would* support regular (weekly or monthly) announcements of the
> > > existence of this mailing list to alt.permaculture.
> >
> >Good idea. Maybe some motivated volunteer will do this.
>
> The easiest way would be for you to just set up a cron job on your server
> that would send the message once a week or what have you. Then nobody
> would have to remember to do it, and you could put a non-functional return
> addy on it to foil the spambots.
>
> Loren

Good idea. I could do this from my Linux shell account on ibiblio. The
problem I see is
that using Pine to create the fake id will screw up all email I send out
using Pine
with the bogus ID, when I may want to receive replies. I do a lot of
mail filtering
and post processing with Procmail. Using Unix mail might be possible but
I don't see how to create
a bogus mail ID there without screwing up my other mail activities. The
only possibility is
for ibiblio admins to create the bogus email ID (alias for
london@ibiblio) that I could use,
_if_ I could run a second copy of pine, or even elm or mhmail and plug
that ID into it
as sender - then I could filter out all incoming spam (i.e., all
incoming email) to the bogus ID
with procmail. As it is I have hundreds of spam each week to deal with
on ibiblio and wouldn't want
to have to deal with the possibility of more.

I have already wasted too much time and good resources on
alt.permaculture already -
the jerks that loiter there don't appreciate good pc information anyway
- pearls before swine almost.
I have killfiled all of them so I can enjoy the ng. I may post something
about the list from time to time
but I'd rather someone else do that. Maybe Keller.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Lawrence