permaculture - [permaculture] Re: alt.permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: alt.permaculture
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 14:27:12 +0000

Lawrence sayeth
> keller wrote:
> > I noticed that the alt.permaculture newsgroup suffers from a scarcity of
> > interesting posts and discussions, compared to this mailing list.

> See above. Personally, I'm agin it; those in favor say aye, those
> opposed, nay. :-)

I'm with Lawrence on this matter. Mainly because most active
newsgroups seem to degenerate very quickly into flame wars.
Mailing list seems to be far less vulnerable to these and when the
wars happen they seem to be far more constructive.

I do see a larger problem. There are so many interesting discussions
happening in so many different places. It would be really nice
to make conclusions from these discussions available to a wider
audience. For example I'd like to be able to feed results from
discussions about a particular plant in to an archive devoted to
that plant. The piece Ute and myself have been working on is a nice
example of this process. That's also where this pcplant database
might lead.

BTW quite a bits been happening on the pcplantdb lately with
a new account on ibiblio which will run a php/mySQL database
and some good discussions. See the mailing list for details.

Rich
--
Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Main Site: Blagdon Cross, Ashwater, Beaworthy, Devon, EX21 5DF, England