permaculture - Re: [permaculture] alt.permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] alt.permaculture
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 14:06:58 -0500

keller wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed that the alt.permaculture newsgroup suffers from a scarcity of
> interesting posts and discussions, compared to this mailing list.
>
> The reason seems to be that whenever people with interesting contributions
> turn up on alt.permaculture, they are invited into this mailing list, where
> the interesting discussions are going on. As a result, alt.permaculture is
> depleted.
>
> On the other hand, I guess that a newsgroup like alt.permaculture is more
> widespread and would be more easily available to many people than this
> mailing list. It seems to me that the discussions going on here are of
> general interest.

The thing to do is to get involved in interesting permaculture
discussion directly
in that newsgroup and encourage others to do likewise, and keep those
discussions on-topic.

Len is the mainstay of that newsgroup, just follow his lead.

> The mailman software offers the possibility to connect a newsgroup to the
> mailing list. It is possible to configure the mailing list in a way that
> messages from it will automatically be posted into the newsgroup. It is

I don't think this is possible with the existing Mailman installation on
ibiblio; reason:
their Mailman server cannot be gated to a newsgroup on an existing nntp
news server,
because none exists. This sort of service costs $$. There is one way to
do this
that I could look into but consensus in this list would have to be
overwhelmingly in favor of
making this happen. There are privacy issues for those who post here who
might not want their
articles going out into such a public cyberspace, not to mention the
fact that
those articles would end up being archived on Google (Deja News) and
other news archive sites.
Also, those in the ng might not want to read all our discussions just as
we might not
want to read theirs. There are certain contentious personalities in the
ng who would
likely cause constant problems, partially because some of their flame
wars in other ng's
end up crossposted to alt.permaculture. In short, it's a bad idea from
the start. Better to just
use alt.permaculture by itself to best advantage.

> possible to have it only in that direction. That would mean that suddenly
> all the good discussions of here would also be in the ng, while the flame
> wars and not so important chats of the ng would stay there. This could
> inject some new life into the newsgroup, raising the average interestingnes
> of discussions there drastically. It would make the discussions of this list
> more easily available to people (they would turn up in the google archive).

See above. Personally, I'm agin it; those in favor say aye, those
opposed, nay. :-)

> Lawrence could do that within minutes. What do you all think?

I could do it through the UNC newsserver, probably, but I'm not sure its
such a good idea.
I could always set up another permaculture list, just for gating to
alt.permaculture. Those
who want this resource could subscribe to it.

Any other ideas or suggestions about this? Maybe we could have a
separate list for the pc plant db
that would be gated to alt.permaculture to increase traffic on that
topic; there would probably be
no objections in the ng to that.

> Andreas

Lawrence