permaculture - Re: [permaculture] alt.permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Loren Davidson <loren@farwalker.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] alt.permaculture
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 16:26:35 -0800

At 12:34 AM 1/20/02 +0100, keller wrote:

The mailman software offers the possibility to connect a newsgroup to the
mailing list. It is possible to configure the mailing list in a way that
messages from it will automatically be posted into the newsgroup. It is
possible to have it only in that direction. That would mean that suddenly
all the good discussions of here would also be in the ng, while the flame
wars and not so important chats of the ng would stay there. This could
inject some new life into the newsgroup, raising the average interestingnes
of discussions there drastically. It would make the discussions of this list
more easily available to people (they would turn up in the google archive).

It would also make all of our email addresses more easily available to the spambots that cruise Usenet. I refuse to post to Usenet because of this; the volume of spam that would follow me making a post - and this was back in 1996, before spam became a science - was pretty bad, and I had to go to disguising my email address in order to post. Unfortunately, if I did that here, Mailman wouldn't let me post to *this* list, assuming it's set up so that only subscribers can post.

Andreas, I understand your good intent in wanting to make this info available to more people. However, I do not want my posts, with their accompanying spam-attractant address, being forwarded to Usenet.

Yes, this info can be extracted from the Web archives by a different variety of spambot/crawler. But the difference between spam going to addresses I put out on Usenet and spam arriving because of email addresses for me that can be found on the Web is a matter of two orders of magnitude at least.

I *would* support regular (weekly or monthly) announcements of the existence of this mailing list to alt.permaculture.

Just my $0.02,

Loren

Loren Davidson Permaculturist, philosopher, writer
loren@farwalker.com http://www.earthspring.org/loren/
AIM: loren334 ICQ: 65291610
"We have to create the future, or others will do it for us" - Gen. S. Ivanova, ret.