permaculture - Re: Permaculture's Point

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: blissv@nmhu.campus.mci.net
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Permaculture's Point
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 08:36:32 -0800 (PST)

*** So if you dance your way in hawaii and I do my clumsy clod-hopper step
in Florida, there is no reason for your toes to be stepped upon.***

'preciate it... distance helps though we are still on the same planet always
dancing, always linked...

***And there is no reason for our dance to appear in harmony at a human
level of perspective.***

Unfortunate, since through all the words, I see some basic values we hold
and understand in common... I find it disturbing that devisive and
judgemental word usage, as in:
**... in the case of your flighty cosmology statemeit, if they seem utterly
unconnected to permaculture.**
creates separation instead of alignment. You are certainly entitled to your
opinions...There is a way that you can communicate that would be less
abrasive and, certainly, if it was in your interest, with the enormous
creativity you have, you could mightily support others to feel good about
themselves and their ideas rather than leaving them feeling attacked. This
kind of care and co-operation is required on the planet... Is not lack of
these a primary cause for our collective problems? If Permaculture, or any
system towards whole systems (health) is to 'work', it requires the
standing together of those that work towards the same, even (especially) if
ways to that success are diverse. Who wants to work with others when they
feel insulted and putdown? Harmony at the human level is where we must, as a
species, learn to co-operate towards these common values of survival on the
earth.

*** We have zilch for tools, except here and there little scraps of
strategy such as permaculture design***

The 'strategy' needs foundation in the heart whatever design it is! This
does not preclude the need for knowledge, experience, grounded ideology. All
of it is needed. One does not negate the others, rather enhances. The
threefold "Care" ethics of permaculture imply this and though often
forgotten, are foundational to permaculture. "Cooperation, not competition,
is the key."

**My point is that if one does not practice permaculture design, the
relevance of broad generalities about it are clearly uncoupled to
experience.**

I appreciate your point. As with anything, words do not express the terrain,
only experience. I know you are a highly informed, experienced permaculture
designer. I do not have your years of experience yet I do offer my own areas
of expertise, aligned and connected to permaculture and am doing my own
version of designing systems that support our common purpose. Whether you
respect this or not is irrelevant since it is in our diversity that we have
stability towards our success.

(btw, I dance/live in New Mexico though have studied sacred hula in Hawaii)