permaculture - Re: Permaculture's Point

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: CtopherP@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Permaculture's Point
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 15:14:24 EST

<<Not all of us have "unity" or "alignment" with all humans as a goal. In
fact no ecosystem has ever depended on complete unity and alignment to
function - it depends on both beneficial and antagonistic relationships. I
will not personally "support others to feel good about themselves and their
ideas" if their ideas are unworkable. If they want to try to prove me
wrong by testing the idea, they're welcome to. If it works, it works. It
shouldn't need my endorsement or anybody else's.>>

We can use examples from "ecosystems" to justify any human cultural opinion
that we can come up with. Ants keep slaves, should we? Mollison goes to some
pains to protect us from such feeble-mindedness. As he says on page 12 of the
Big Book:
"There is only one law that is offered to us by such education as we can
derive from nature, which can be stated in many ways: the Law of Return:
Whatever we take, we must return."
So don't try and use the fact that we observe antagonism in ecosystems as a
justification for being antagonistic.
Let's let permaculture be an evoving, heuristic, fun way of saving the planet,
not just a refuge for a few crusty, survivalist curmudgeons.
Christopher Peck
Santa Fe, New Mexico