permaculture - kudzu

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Jonathan Bentley" <jwb@sanynet.ne.jp>
  • To: <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: kudzu
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 15:21:22 +0900

Hello! (and Happy Bday to Gene )
Your post on kudzu vine coincided nicely with something that I saw over the
weekend. I live in Japan now, and last weekend I took a trip up into the
mountains where people still live relatively traditional lives.
One looooooooong time resident took me for a hike and showed me some
vines (wisteria) that are still used for building bridges, binding, etc. due
to their flexibility and strength. He mentioned that kudzu is also used for
similar applications. I'm ashamed to say I've never actually touched or
played with kudzu, so I don't know what it's like.
Does anyone know what kudzu's flexibility and strength are like? My
guide
said that only three-year and older vines are used, as they maintain their
flexibility and strength without rotting like green ones do.

If so, maybe kudzu could be used as a beautiful, inexpensive, and
quickly-renewable material for fencing, light construction, decoration,
child restraining, etc. ;^)

nice to be back on the list

Jonathan Bentley
Himeji, Japan

  • kudzu, Jonathan Bentley, 11/06/1998
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: kudzu, blissv, 11/06/1998
    • RE: kudzu, Charland, Stacy (NIGMS), 11/06/1998
    • Re: kudzu, Martha Ruth Hills (MelbPC), 11/07/1998