permaculture - Re: Permaculture's Point

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lee Flier <lflier@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Permaculture's Point
  • Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 12:24:16 -0500

Vicky wrote:

... I find it disturbing that devisive and
>judgemental word usage, as in:
> **... in the case of your flighty cosmology statemeit, if they seem utterly
>unconnected to permaculture.**
>creates separation instead of alignment. You are certainly entitled to your
>opinions...There is a way that you can communicate that would be less
>abrasive and, certainly, if it was in your interest, with the enormous
>creativity you have, you could mightily support others to feel good about
>themselves and their ideas rather than leaving them feeling attacked. This
>kind of care and co-operation is required on the planet... Is not lack of
>these a primary cause for our collective problems?

Well I won't speak for Dan, but in my opinion, no. Permaculture is about
survival, and survival has never been about "being nice" or "being in
alignment." Dissonance between individuals has never been what threatens
our survival or any other species' survival. In fact, competition, testing
of mettle, periodic retaliation between groups to defend territory, and
other such strategies represent key factors in survival and continued
evolution.

Not all of us have "unity" or "alignment" with all humans as a goal. In
fact no ecosystem has ever depended on complete unity and alignment to
function - it depends on both beneficial and antagonistic relationships. I
will not personally "support others to feel good about themselves and their
ideas" if their ideas are unworkable. If they want to try to prove me
wrong by testing the idea, they're welcome to. If it works, it works. It
shouldn't need my endorsement or anybody else's.

On the other hand if I attack someone's idea or the logic behind it, that
doesn't mean I'm attacking that person as a person. A lot of people seem
to mistake one for the other as Dan pointed out, and I think that's sad.

= Lee =

Lee A Flier "The greatest fine art of the future
lflier@mindspring.com will be the making of a comfortable
Atlanta and Ellijay, Georgia, U.S.A. living from a small piece of land."
http://lflier.home.mindspring.com -Abraham Lincoln