permaculture - Re: kudzu

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: blissv@nmhu.campus.mci.net
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: kudzu
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 08:58:15 -0800 (PST)

glad to have you back, Jonathan.. I have no experience with kudzu. If your
query doesn't result in much info, I certanly have resources to find out
about it. lemme know...

At 03:21 PM 11/6/98 +0900, you wrote:
>Hello! (and Happy Bday to Gene )
>Your post on kudzu vine coincided nicely with something that I saw over the
>weekend. I live in Japan now, and last weekend I took a trip up into the
>mountains where people still live relatively traditional lives.
> One looooooooong time resident took me for a hike and showed me some
>vines (wisteria) that are still used for building bridges, binding, etc. due
>to their flexibility and strength. He mentioned that kudzu is also used for
>similar applications. I'm ashamed to say I've never actually touched or
>played with kudzu, so I don't know what it's like.
> Does anyone know what kudzu's flexibility and strength are like? My
>guide
>said that only three-year and older vines are used, as they maintain their
>flexibility and strength without rotting like green ones do.
>
>If so, maybe kudzu could be used as a beautiful, inexpensive, and
>quickly-renewable material for fencing, light construction, decoration,
>child restraining, etc. ;^)
>
>nice to be back on the list
>
>Jonathan Bentley
>Himeji, Japan

  • kudzu, Jonathan Bentley, 11/06/1998
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: kudzu, blissv, 11/06/1998
    • RE: kudzu, Charland, Stacy (NIGMS), 11/06/1998
    • Re: kudzu, Martha Ruth Hills (MelbPC), 11/07/1998