pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] data/security model proposal

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Bear Kaufmann <bear@ursine-design.com>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] data/security model proposal
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 20:24:34 -0800

It also shouldn't be hard to pare down a page to X percentile on the
fly with a little javascript and comment divs with classes per50,
per60...not sure if people would want to muddy the waters with JS, and
I'm not a maestro at coding it, but should be quite possible. This
would imply that the max info you wanted to should would have to be in
the HTML, just hidden...user prefs/reloads would probably be lower
bandwidth...

I think a lot of what you had/have in mind (in the earlier email and
above) can be handled via machine processing and user prefs.
Yes. My JS proposal was just that it'd look cool to expand the detail of the entries on the fly, with just a browser refresh and not a full re-download. It would be an addition beyond core functionality, so don't worry about it, something to put on the "feature request - not at all urgent". Maybe that wikipedia movie got me thinking... But, yes, the rest is a lot about server side, and well, CSS.

I think what we need in terms of info arranging will become more clear as we go along.
I'm interested to know how the relationships part is coming together...
I implemented edit and delete of the comments today. I want to get
them into the search method and then I'm onto relationships. My
initial take was to do it ala del.icio.us with the "loose
tagging"/"open vocabulary" as we discussed favorably earlier. I've
been thinking that relationships would be fairly light weight objects
(possibly no moderation) but easy to add and manipulate. A minimal
implementation should only take a couple of hours so if I get it way
wrong at least we know what not to do. Should have something on dev
by the end of the week.

Also, maybe we want to think of adding the user prefs as a sidebar
below the search box?

As a link to a prefs page, or the prefs themselves? I'm thinking that
eventually prefs will be pretty detailed so although a sidebar may
work for now it might get cumbersome in a while.
Right...yeah, as of now, they are pretty light....maybe we can have a prefs lite on the side, and a link to detailed prefs below. Basically, it seems that there might be some things that'd be nice to have easy access to, like search size, etc.

Also Bear, got any updates about how you want div/span - css stuff to
look from Eden output?
Honestly I don't have a lot of time to pour over the details. Basically at this point (from a design flexibility POV), the more individualized tags the better. So as it seems fit, for each value that comes out of the tables, if they could go into a:
<ul class="culture">
<li class="habit">value1</li>
<li class="ph">value2....</li>
</ul>
contstruct, that'd be great. If we wanted use icons later on, it might require second class (class="class1 class2") with the value (assuming a small set of possiblities, and values were whitespace stripped/lowercase). But I wouldn't worry about that now. I'm seeing something kind of in the style of a Sunset plant description box....anyone else have another concept?

I'll probably be AFAIK for a few days...

Best,
Bear