pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] data and presentation

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Bear Kaufmann <bear@ursine-design.com>
  • To: john@eco-living.net, Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] data and presentation
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 23:59:19 -0800

Ummm, aren't you mixing data and presentation here?

Don't we need a well-thought-out API here?
Probably...
If I'm misunderstanding please clarify - sounds to me like you (Chad) are kludging presentation stuff onto the output of your DB engine for Bear...if not, what's this about??

I'm looking to be able to recognize individual HTML elements via the class to provide the most flexibility in formating and layout. If each value goes into an unmarked, <li> or <div>, I don't have many ways to select it....if we decide to use an icon next to each data type, I'd have no way to add it, without selecting for that div or li...

I get what you're worried about....is there another route you would take?

Or do you mean if Chad does this he should be sure it's part of a middle layer between the data end, and HTML output....Can what I'm asking for be done via XLST, using it as the middle layer from data->XML->HTML?

Best,
Bear