pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] data/security model proposal

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] data/security model proposal
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 20:16:24 -0600

Bear Kaufmann writes:
> >> New comments (Sort Order Rank = nil) are appended at the end of the
> >> First Order Comment box, and users/high ranking moderators can decide
> >> where in the text they belong, sort order is no longer nil and it no
> >> longer appears appended...
> >
> > My only concern is in creating a system that requires extra human
> > input. If I'm hearing you correctly it sounds like you're suggesting
> > human input into how things are displayed in addition to moderation
> > input. Not sure how to get people to want to do this... although it's
> > pretty easy to ask folks to tag some element as either helpful or
> > useless and let that moderation affect its display thereafter.
>
> I suppose your right....actually, I'll take the sort order method back.
> I think "threaded" additions, basically as you have it will maintain
> the logical flow of the text (assuming people don't go off on a
> tangent)...so my main vision here is try and keep things inline....find
> an easy way to add a comment to the inline comments (the popup footnote
> could have a "Reply to This" link, or the form itself build right in).
> So threading and ranking should handle it...
>
> On thing to possibly carry over from the Sort Order vision...
> Pull un- or minimally ranked comments out to the bottom...if unranked
> stuff always says hidden down deep, it's not easy for people to find it
> and rank it. There are other ways to implement it, basic point being,
> highlight un-ranked comments in some way, don't bury them (a side bar
> might work: 10 newest comments on this plant)...
>
> It also shouldn't be hard to pare down a page to X percentile on the
> fly with a little javascript and comment divs with classes per50,
> per60...not sure if people would want to muddy the waters with JS, and
> I'm not a maestro at coding it, but should be quite possible. This
> would imply that the max info you wanted to should would have to be in
> the HTML, just hidden...user prefs/reloads would probably be lower
> bandwidth...

I think a lot of what you had/have in mind (in the earlier email and
above) can be handled via machine processing and user prefs. I think
what we need in terms of info arranging will become more clear as we go
along.

> I'm interested to know how the relationships part is coming together...

I implemented edit and delete of the comments today. I want to get
them into the search method and then I'm onto relationships. My
initial take was to do it ala del.icio.us with the "loose
tagging"/"open vocabulary" as we discussed favorably earlier. I've
been thinking that relationships would be fairly light weight objects
(possibly no moderation) but easy to add and manipulate. A minimal
implementation should only take a couple of hours so if I get it way
wrong at least we know what not to do. Should have something on dev
by the end of the week.

> Also, maybe we want to think of adding the user prefs as a sidebar
> below the search box?

As a link to a prefs page, or the prefs themselves? I'm thinking that
eventually prefs will be pretty detailed so although a sidebar may
work for now it might get cumbersome in a while.

> Craving Issue Tracker...
>
> Good work Chad...
>
> Cheers,
> Bear

Also nobody needs to report that tabled search results is broken in
dev, I'm on it all ready.

Also Bear, got any updates about how you want div/span - css stuff to
look from Eden output?