pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] data/security model proposal

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] data/security model proposal
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:20:38 +0000

Aloha,

It also shouldn't be hard to pare down a page to X percentile on the fly with a little javascript and comment divs with classes per50, per60...not sure if people would want to muddy the waters with JS, and I'm not a maestro at coding it, but should be quite possible.

Do it server side on the fly. That eliminates the need for javascript on client side. Yes, it will take a bit longer to unhide/rehide stuff, but that is balanced by the fact that no 'hidden' stuff and no JS code needs to be transferred the first time the page loads.

Could provide a user config for amount of hiding, so that people could choose what tradeoff they want

In PIW phase seven or so we could even have user configs for "use/don't use JS hiding"... ;-)