pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] data/security model proposal

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Bear Kaufmann <bear@ursine-design.com>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] data/security model proposal
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:05:50 -0800

New comments (Sort Order Rank = nil) are appended at the end of the
First Order Comment box, and users/high ranking moderators can decide
where in the text they belong, sort order is no longer nil and it no
longer appears appended...

My only concern is in creating a system that requires extra human
input. If I'm hearing you correctly it sounds like you're suggesting
human input into how things are displayed in addition to moderation
input. Not sure how to get people to want to do this... although it's
pretty easy to ask folks to tag some element as either helpful or
useless and let that moderation affect its display thereafter.

I suppose your right....actually, I'll take the sort order method back. I think "threaded" additions, basically as you have it will maintain the logical flow of the text (assuming people don't go off on a tangent)...so my main vision here is try and keep things inline....find an easy way to add a comment to the inline comments (the popup footnote could have a "Reply to This" link, or the form itself build right in). So threading and ranking should handle it...

On thing to possibly carry over from the Sort Order vision...
Pull un- or minimally ranked comments out to the bottom...if unranked stuff always says hidden down deep, it's not easy for people to find it and rank it. There are other ways to implement it, basic point being, highlight un-ranked comments in some way, don't bury them (a side bar might work: 10 newest comments on this plant)...

It also shouldn't be hard to pare down a page to X percentile on the fly with a little javascript and comment divs with classes per50, per60...not sure if people would want to muddy the waters with JS, and I'm not a maestro at coding it, but should be quite possible. This would imply that the max info you wanted to should would have to be in the HTML, just hidden...user prefs/reloads would probably be lower bandwidth...

I'm interested to know how the relationships part is coming together...

Also, maybe we want to think of adding the user prefs as a sidebar below the search box?
Craving Issue Tracker...

Good work Chad...

Cheers,
Bear