pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] data and presentation

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: PCPLANTDB <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] data and presentation
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 22:47:28 +0000

Aloha,

Bear said,

I'm looking to be able to recognize individual HTML elements via the class to provide the most flexibility in formating and layout....

I get what you're worried about....is there another route you would take?

Yeah, I thought we'd discussed this quite a bit and agreed to have a clean API for the DB engine that kept data and presentation separated.

Maybe Chad's already done that and he's returning to you stuff that's already from his 'client' side of things...I just haven't heard that out loud, if true.

So, I'm checking my assumptions - what it looks like from your posts here is that the DB engine is returning data combined with HTML markup.

Chad, have you got a DB engine/client model with XML data transport between them already implemented?
Or are you just munging your DB engine output with HTML markup?

Or do you mean if Chad does this he should be sure it's part of a middle layer between the data end, and HTML output....Can what I'm asking for be done via XLST, using it as the middle layer from data->XML->HTML?

Yeah, afaik we decided that XML would be our data transport markup, and that the DB engine would provide a 'clean' API for clients to use in communicating with it (making queries, getting responses, adding comments, etc. etc.).

So, please let me know what's actually going on in the bowels of the code regarding this.

thanks,