pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Re: data/security model proposal

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: Permaculture Information Web <piw@lists.ibiblio.org>, pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Re: data/security model proposal
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:24:19 -0600

Heide Hermary writes:
> Sorry, I am not totally clear about this technical stuff, especially
> with respectto who can enter / change what. Whatever the system, we
> want to make sure that many people can contribute information under each
> topic, since we are collecting information that is not currently
> available in such concentrated form. Plant information is also commonly
> climate / locality dependent
> Heide

Exactly as you say and additionally this model allows for multiple
different versions of the information... anyone can record their
experiences/information about a given plant. Moderation of this
information allows the stuff that people feel is valid to float to the
top and the information that the majority feels is incorrect to float
to the bottom.

Climate/locale is a little specialized in that although experiences
may differ from climate to climate it's not a case of right or wrong.
I'm actually not completely sure how to handle this distinction at
this point. My head is working on it and hopefully some of the smart
folks on these lists will come up with some clever ideas here.