pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Synth, comments, etc || EIE

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Bear K <bear@ursine-design.com>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Synth, comments, etc || EIE
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:27:25 -0800

Re: Knowledge Engineering Laboratory
http://kelab.tamu.edu/standard/approach.html
Knowledge Engineering For Ecosystem Management

Looks interesting, I'll read it in more depth shortly. Some of the concepts, paradigms, if not tools from these kind of projects would be helpful to catalog. Time to assemble a list of URLs for projects like this.

Ok, some talent finally steps to the plate. Those of you have not
gone to <http://www.ursine-design.com/piw>, please do so. This has my
vote for colors and layout.

I love the trees image. Where did it
come from? Is it copylefted?
I think I asked if there were any copylefted illustrations of tree guilds. Unfortunately this image comes from the Designer Manual (don't tell Bill), so its not for public/production use. Anyone know of any similar copylefted or creator open to use line art?

I don't think the logo image quite
harmonizes with it, but we can play with possible logos later.
Yeah, it was late at night, and I'm not happy with it, will do some work shortly.
Thanks for your suggestions and images Lawrence.

The green behind the PIW logo needs to be toned down, made lighter, still earthtone -
will match the colors in the toolbar better, which don't need changing.
Yeah, I realized the color wasn't a web compatible color, so chose the closest (overly bright web compat. one). If I save the background color as a small gif, anything a browser does to the colors on the images, it would do to the background, and they'd match. In short, I'll revert it to the main tabs color.

Lighten the trees and foliage image and overlay the PIW logo on top of it; otherwise
make the trees image slightly smaller and fainter maybe with a hint of color - or
just lose it and move the PIW logo flush left.
Possible.

tone down and lighten the upper green bar; move the PIW logo to the left; replace the trees image with
a larger, longer one of trees and plants, in a faint shade of grey-green, and fill most of the green bar with it.
We could bring the title flush left, flip and float the guild image all the way right. I like this possibility....

I do like the modern look of a San-Serif for the title (Futuri). I could also use a Serif like Palatino, etc...any opinions?

Seems there needs to be some sort of pc image up top that goes across the page within the green
grasses, sunset, brambles, gnarly tree, big treetrunk
I don't quite follow this. There are some technical limits to how the images in the header can combine, if we want it to be a fluid layout. Do you mean sky, cloud, etc images behind the guild image in the header?

Chad, can you use PHP for the website?
I can pull the header and footer out into "include" files, so they remain changeable, with largely content in the page files.
I'll try to work on this stuff this week, really tired right now though.

Cheers,
Bear