pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Synth, comments, etc

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Synth, comments, etc
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 14:29:39 -0800

SORRY TO DO THE CAPS THING AGAIN:

------ Original Message ------
From: Bear K <bear@ursine-design.com>
To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>

> This relates to the levels of zoom I just asked about - zooms like
> lenses, a spectrum from a microscope to human eye scale (and further
> perhaps) - ya dig?
Certainly. Now, to the technical part.....me thinks there's a bit of
work involved in that.

YES, EASY FOR ME TO DREAM WHEN I DON'T HAVE TO CREATE IT!

...What we'd be trying to do is to collapse a _network_
down as if it was a hierarchy. It means you'd probably need a way to
discover the subnetworks within the network, and lump the subnetworks
together.

AND THIS IS WHERE I THINK ECOSYSTEM INFORMATION ENGINEERING WOULD BE
USEFUL. OK, MAYBE I'LL GET ON THAT TODAY...

[On Elastic Interval Geometry:] I think TouchGraph uses it. It's a front-
end thing. Imagine a network of nodes. Nodes are connected to other
nodes, and each connection has an optimal distance. The connections
behave like springs, pushing the nodes back and forth on the graph, until
all the nodes finally self-assemble into an optimal arrangement. It's fun
to watch actually. I'm developing something right now, though it's in
RealBasic (Mac only), though a friend will be porting it over to C. I may
be able to develop a front-end for this back-end, given enough
relationship info.

IT'S EXACTLY WHAT I WOULD HAVE IMAGINED BY THE NAME. IS THIS WHAT
THINKMAP USES? (AND BEAR, DID YOU KNOW WE'VE ALREADY DISCUSSED GBI'S,
SUCH AS TOUCHGRAPH, ON THIS LIST? WE CAN DISCUSS IN PERSON ON
TUESDAY...)

What platform is everyone on?
OSX

IT'S TRULY EXCITING TO SEE THAT THINGS I'VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT CAN
ACTUALLY MANIFEST THEMSELVES IN THE FRONTEND (AND HOPEFULLY BACKEND)...

PEACE
*S

Cheers,
Bear