pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Synth, comments, etc

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Bear K <bear@ursine-design.com>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Synth, comments, etc
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 21:52:14 -0800

I'm curious to hear about Dahlgrin.
Are these the maps which cluster plants by proximity for the length of time since they diverged in their evolution?

Also, I think Bear mentioned Groxis - are all of us familiar with this
initiative? Bear, how is Groxis similar to or different from what we are
trying to achieve? Learning/collaboration possibilities?
It's a great piece of eye candy. Part of the functionality is that it breaks down a Google search into more specific clusters of information. It's fun to see the information laid out in circular clusters, but functionally its basically like a folder view on a computer. (It's not a lite client front-end...)

The information gets clustered into a hierarchy. This doesn't allow much for connections _between_ things and items. I'm playing with rendering something more like what we'd need. It looks interesting right now, and I think I may have broken through the block to developing something like this. Thanks for getting me thinking about this. Would there be a possibility that developing a front-end like this would be something that could be a part of future grant proposals? Only if it was something that would be of mutual benefit (increase grantor interest, and not decrease funds for the back-end dev).

Can I put in a recommendation that there be an API to query this (using SOAP?), and develop that for the back-end sooner then later, so that different front-ends can be built. Discussing the functionality of an API for the back-end could help clarify what the back-end needs to do.

Perhaps we should get back to discussing schema stuff.
Also, would a wiki (with history diffs) help in developing an API and schema?

Sorry that I missed the discussion on front-ends, 'twas before I was on-list, and all through the house, nothing was stirring, not even...never mind.

Re: The Logo
Is there a copyright free line illustration of a tree based guild (side view)? It seems like a tree, spreading out to forbs at the edges would make for a good masthead. Center the title over it, center the image in a <div> over the main box, and use the chosen colors for the site for the illustration (multiply over the background color).

Check out: http://ufei.org/ for something somewhat similar.
Which is actually a great tree DB out of CalPoly too...

screen-savers which display plants which grow in your USDA Zone based on ZIP code. Plants with the most trackbacks.
Just kidding.

Great ideas actually. Most screensavers are fluff; why not an implicitly educational one?
Sold as a fundraiser for the project...

This was actually inspired by looking at flickr.com
They have an API developed, and photos get tags to assign meta-information to them. Because of the API, a variety of different apps have been developed by third parties. Including screen savers ("display your friends public photos", "display all photos with tags Maple and Autumn". Might be a model to look into. They are a company, but much of the complaints, feature request, etc are publicly accessible forums. A more open source ethic.

I may actually try to use their API to play around with this front-end, since it would be a source of relationship information, available now. See if this stuff is workable.

To answer my own question, I'm using OS X, Mac G4.

Cheers,
Bear