pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Synth, comments, etc

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Synth, comments, etc
  • Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 23:48:44 -0800

YESYESYES!

Bear wrote, "Where do you draw the boundary on a system. Do you count the
intestinal micro-fauna of a chicken as part of the system. If you do,
can you lump the lower details together into a higher system level, and
what kind of search function would do that. Items have constraints
(only grows in Sunset Zones 1,2,5-7). I'm wondering if there is or are
ways to represent this like a UML diagram or some such."

This relates to the levels of zoom I just asked about - zooms like
lenses, a spectrum from a microscope to human eye scale (and further
perhaps) - ya dig?

Bear also wrote, "There was a semantic network project I was looking at
once. The nodes consisted of words. A large number of people were given a
random pairing of words, and asked to rank how similar or different they
were. This information weighted the connections between the nodes, which
when arranged using Elastic Interval Geometry (the rubber-band networks
that TouchGraph[?] et al use), would lump into related clusters of words.
I wonder the "Interaction Matrix of Two Species" (table 3.5 page 62 of
the DM) could be used for a system like that. Would it just require a 1
to 1 table with columns for the rankings? You'd need another to store
the individual rank, source, and comments that are averaged into the
main table."

Beautiful again. Ecological networks aren't flat democracies. Things *
are* weighted. Just tough when we have to assign the weights ourselves,
but perhaps if we create algorithms (using Elastic Interval Geometry -
wow, what is that?) it will be easier and more meaningful?

"Let me know if all this talk hinders development."

No way, man. Keep talking.

peace
*s